Year Dedicated: 1875
Services might have begun at Waldheim as early as 1860 in an old log church, though records are lacking. It is known that a new church was built and dedicated in 1875. The church was 41 by 25 feet and had a steeple with a bell. J. B. A. Ahrens wrote that he had “opened a new field” and had a society of 22 members.
The congregation was a part of the German Mission Conference. It was called Boniface Church, after the apostle of the Germans. Through the years, it has also been called St. Tammany Mission, Camp Ground, Talisheek, German Settlement, and now, Waldheim.
On August 29, 1884, John J. Ryan sold 40 acres, which encompassed the church property to the M. E. Church, South, German Mission Conference of Texas and Louisiana.
In 1887, a “tabernacle” (shed) of 40 by 60 feet was built for the Camp Ground. It had a dirt floor covered with pine needles. Fires were lit on several stands around the shed to provide light at night. In the early 1930’s, an addition was built onto the back of the church, and a Fellowship Hall was added in the mid 1950’s.
Various improvements have been made over the years, such as a new organ (1952 & 1967), air conditioning (1971, though the units were stolen the following year), and furnaces (1974). It is thought that a parsonage was built about the same time as Boniface Church.
Source: The First Century, 1875-1975: Waldheim UMC